Between the cake and the flowers and just the general celebration of love between the people we care about, there’s really nothing quite like a wedding! Even if this joyful season has been pretty darn different from what we’re used to (we’re lookin’ at you, COVID-19!), that doesn’t mean bridal showers and weddings have gone away forever.
If you have a socially distant bridal shower or wedding on the horizon or want to plan ahead for future occasions, you might be wondering what you should get for the happy couple. While the two celebrations might seem similar at first glance, traditionally, the presents you’d get for the bride-to-be are a little bit different from what you’d get the happy couple on their wedding day.
Browse Our Collection of Funny Wedding Socks
We’re glad to help you learn the difference between a bridal shower gift and a wedding gift, as well as share some ideas for what to get for each!
What’s the Difference?
Traditionally, a bridal shower brings together the bride-to-be and her close friends and family members to celebrate the engagement and wedding that’s soon to come. It’s usually a more intimate gathering, and, in the past, the invite lists would typically be ladies-only. When shopping for a bridal shower gift, keep in mind that they’re not normally meant to be super expensive or grandiose. You can be more playful with the types of gifts you bring to a bridal shower and get something that’s just for the bride. For example, a fun and quirky pair of bride socks they can wear while getting ready on the big day.
The gifts you get for a bridal shower are often different from what you’d bring to the wedding for the happy couple. A wedding gift is normally something on the nicer, more serious side and can serve them both. For example, if the couple is moving into a new house or apartment together after the wedding, you can consider getting them something for their future home.
Check Out Our Assortment of Bride Socks
What to Get as a Bridal Shower Gift
When you’re shopping for a bridal shower gift, keep in mind that you really, truly don’t have to break the bank to get something special that your bride-to-be will appreciate. Think about what their personal style is and whether they have any hobbies or interests that you can support with a fun gift!
- If your bride-to-be likes to party, they might enjoy a custom flask or tumbler that helps them celebrate in style!
- You know we’re big fans of gifting socks, and this occasion is no exception. (They really do make a great gift for anything!) There are so many types of socks for girls to choose from that you could get a fun (and FUNctional) pair for every gal in the bridal party.
- Is the bride in your life a major foodie? Consider going the DIY route and put together a book of recipes inspired by their favorite cuisines.
There really are no hard and fast rules for what to get for the bride, but if you follow your heart and don’t worry too much about straining your budget, you’re sure to find something meaningful and appropriate to bring to their bridal shower.
What to Get as a Wedding Gift
- Custom gifts are super special and show that you’ve put thought into your gift. If the happy couple likes to enjoy a little vino every now and again, consider something like personalized wine with the couple's names to commemorate the day.
- Appliances, dinnerware and luggage are popular on registries because they’re big-ticket items that most couples would have to save up for. If you can spring a gift like this, you can feel confident it’ll be used and loved!
- While people sometimes knock on cash or checks as a wedding gift, it's honestly super practical because it can be used by the couple for whatever they want to spend it on. If you feel funny about giving cash, consider including something inexpensive that’s fun and thematic in the gift bag, like a pair of wedding socks or a piggy bank labeled “Honeymoon Fund.”
While you don’t have to go overboard with gifting by spending above your means, remember that a wedding gift is often expected to be on the nicer side. After all, the best wedding gifts of 2020 are the ones that resonate with the happy couple in your life!
Gifting can be really hard, but with a little planning and creativity, you can be prepared for both the bridal shower and the wedding! Whether you’re going the DIY route for the bride-to-be or springing on a luggage set for the big day, we’re sure the happy couple will appreciate however you decide to help them celebrate.